Ecological & Natural Resources
Peace of mind – that is what our clients want when it comes compliance with environmental laws and regulations. STONE’s seasoned staff, some of whom have worked for regulatory agencies, understand the ecological resources and environmental rules for project development – but what sets us apart is that we also understand engineering, construction, and time constraints. Our goal is to help you get your project built, while providing balance with the natural environment.
STONE’s breadth of services range from stream, wetland, and water quality assessment; to specialized surveys of endangered species; to waterway permitting and agency negotiation. Our turn-key abilities allow us to collect required field data, provide insight in project design, develop the documentation needed for regulatory clearance, and obtain environmental permits. We use our knowledge of specialized study requirements and the permitting process so that key project deadlines are met.
With our highly experienced ecological staff we deliver results in a number of areas including freshwater endangered mussel surveys (with federally-licensed personnel); aquatic surveys including fish electroshocking and benthic macroinvertebrate surveys; herpetological surveys; threatened and endangered species surveying including Running Buffalo clover; habitat assessment; data analysis; and reporting. Our ecologists are Level 3 Ohio EPA Qualified Data Collectors, Professional Wetland Scientists (PWS), and Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) approved herpetologists.
- Wetland and Stream Delineation and Assessment
- 401/404, NWP, Isolated Wetland Permitting
- Wetland and Stream Mitigation and Restoration Design, Construction, and Monitoring/Reporting
- Freshwater Mussel Surveys (USFWS Federal and State permits)
- Ecological Surveys
- Threatened/Endangered Species Surveys and Coordination
- ODOT Waste/Borrow Area 107.1 Spec Environmental Clearance Reviews
- Vegetation Index of Biotic Integrity (VIBI) Assessments
- Rare Plant, Tree and Plant Community Surveys
- Floristic Inventories and Quality Assessments
- Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Collection, Assessment, and Identification
- Fish Collection, Assessment, and Identification
- Herpetological Surveys (State-certified for Eastern Hellbender)
- Bird Surveys (including but not limited to inventories, point counts, and bald eagle nest surveys)
- Water Quality Sampling
- Environmental Compliance Monitoring/Observation
- Biological Assessments (BA)
- Invasive Species Evaluation
- Regulatory Agency Coordination
- Research and Analysis
Ecological & Natural Resources Projects
“STONE is an instrumental part of our team on the Portsmouth By-Pass Project: the 16-mile new construction project, which is the single largest project in ODOT history. This project has come with more than its share of environmental challenges. STONE has delivered over 30 full environmental clearance reviews and reports we have requested as part of the project, handling them from start to finish in a very timely & cost effective manner. Furthermore, they’ve proven themselves as an extremely valuable resource when it comes to consulting on mitigation efforts, hazardous materials, and resolving various unknown environmental situations that the project has encountered.
From the top down STONE has proven they are committed to excellence and we look forward to working with them on many projects in the future.”